Subject: Rockbox/Android on Freescale i.MX31 based PDA+PMP, player.......developers wanted

Rockbox/Android on Freescale i.MX31 based PDA+PMP, player.......developers wanted

From: Chun Ming Wong <ericwongcm_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:49:27 +1000

>>please do not post HTML mails to this list.

Sorry about the HTML, I didn't know.

Maybe I should rephrase it to
1)Use Rockbox as the OS
or
2)Run Rockbox as an application Android

I am not a developer myself, so can't answer some of your questions.

Someone have mentioned this in the Rockbox wiki, so someone must have
considered this or working on it.
http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SummerOfCode2008

The 2008 Google summer of code "Rockbox as an application on a Unix
based smart phone" should pave the road towards running Rockbox on
Android, right?
http://code.google.com/soc/2008/rockbox/about.html

>> Have you modified Android sufficiently to allow running native applications? Because if you can't run application native code, then theres not much sense asking about rockbox.

 From what I have heard from Jonathan Gordon, seems like there is some
difficulty due to Android's java vs Rockbox's C language.
But that's won't stop you using Rockbox as the OS itself, right?

I mean if anyone is interested, we could donate some hardware, or lend
you our development board to make this possible. I am sure our hardware
specification is quite attractive.
We have the MX31 development board, Linux and Win CE 5 BSP, and drivers
so it is definitely doable if the anyone is interested.
We designed and build this hardware, so we know everything about it and
are happy to share anything u need it to allow Rockbox to run on

Cheers
Eric