Subject: Rockbox/Android on Freescale i.MX31 based PDA+PMP, player.......developers wanted

Rockbox/Android on Freescale i.MX31 based PDA+PMP, player.......developers wanted

From: Chun Ming Wong <>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 20:49:27 +1000

>>please do not post HTML mails to this list.

Sorry about the HTML, I didn't know.

Maybe I should rephrase it to
1)Use Rockbox as the OS
2)Run Rockbox as an application Android

I am not a developer myself, so can't answer some of your questions.

Someone have mentioned this in the Rockbox wiki, so someone must have
considered this or working on it.

The 2008 Google summer of code "Rockbox as an application on a Unix
based smart phone" should pave the road towards running Rockbox on
Android, right?

>> Have you modified Android sufficiently to allow running native applications? Because if you can't run application native code, then theres not much sense asking about rockbox.

 From what I have heard from Jonathan Gordon, seems like there is some
difficulty due to Android's java vs Rockbox's C language.
But that's won't stop you using Rockbox as the OS itself, right?

I mean if anyone is interested, we could donate some hardware, or lend
you our development board to make this possible. I am sure our hardware
specification is quite attractive.
We have the MX31 development board, Linux and Win CE 5 BSP, and drivers
so it is definitely doable if the anyone is interested.
We designed and build this hardware, so we know everything about it and
are happy to share anything u need it to allow Rockbox to run on