Subject: Re: discussion of the rb utility at the recent dev con

Re: discussion of the rb utility at the recent dev con

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 00:03:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, alex wallis wrote:

> Just a thought, but has anyone working on the rb utility tried talking to
> actual screen reader manufacturers?

I think you're approaching this from a wrong end.

The rbutility devs have been doing great work on this tool and they've made
serious efforts to make it speak as good as possible. I think people who wants
it to work even better should consider joining the effort and help things
happen, not just throw in good advice as an audience.

If you think it helps the project by talking to manufacturers of screen
readers, please do that and tell us what you learned! We need more people that
are visually impaired or blind to help out hands on.

I was under the impression the console version would be prefered by blind
users (and no - it doesn't mean lots of typing on command lines) since it
would not be a GUI and thus you could use braille terminals etc for it and
this not be forced to use only screen readers. Was this wrong thinking on my
behalf?

--
  / daniel.haxx.se