Subject: Re: discussion of the rb utility at the recent dev con

Re: discussion of the rb utility at the recent dev con

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 23:36:42 +0100

> The rbutility devs have been doing great work on this tool and they've
> made serious efforts to make it speak as good as possible. I think people
> who wants it to work even better should consider joining the effort and
> help things happen, not just throw in good advice as an audience.

I agree, and I might drop a few manufacturers a line, though not sure how
much help they will turn out to be, still we'll see.
> I was under the impression the console version would be prefered by blind
> users (and no - it doesn't mean lots of typing on command lines) since it
> would not be a GUI and thus you could use braille terminals etc for it and
> this not be forced to use only screen readers. Was this wrong thinking on
> my behalf?

Unfortunately yes, as blind people can still access GUIS with braille
displays. Also, Braille terminals as you call them, usually called braille
displays are very expensive, offten a hell of a lot more than a screen
reader, for a braille display that has a fairly good number of sells which
are what produces the braille, as they pop up in particular combinations to
form the letters as needed, your looking at paying several thousand £ or $
pprobably at minimum 2 or 3000. While there are a few people who have
braille displays, they I would suggest are in the minority. Also, just
because a person has a braille display for output it doesn't necessarily
follow they will have a method of inputting in braille. And i'm only
speaking from a personal point of view here, i'm sure there will be others
on this list who disagree, but I prefer both input from an ordinary quirty
keyboard and output from a screen reader, as I find I absorb information
more quickly with the screen reader, and also I don't own a braille display.
In most cases a braille display simply is a method of output, and even if a
person did have the method to input with braille, they would still have to
type in commands, which actually might be more fiddly on a braille display,
I don't no as I don't own one, so comments any display users?

Is the console version command line in the sense that dos was command line?
or is it kind of like a wizard. Unfortunately I haven't been able to use the
console version, as last time I asked about it there wasn't a compiled
version available as far as I no, and I think the consensus was that it
couldn't be compiled from cygwin.