Subject: Re: discussion of the rb utility at the recent dev con

Re: discussion of the rb utility at the recent dev con

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 23:36:42 +0100

> The rbutility devs have been doing great work on this tool and they've
> made serious efforts to make it speak as good as possible. I think people
> who wants it to work even better should consider joining the effort and
> help things happen, not just throw in good advice as an audience.

I agree, and I might drop a few manufacturers a line, though not sure how
much help they will turn out to be, still we'll see.
> I was under the impression the console version would be prefered by blind
> users (and no - it doesn't mean lots of typing on command lines) since it
> would not be a GUI and thus you could use braille terminals etc for it and
> this not be forced to use only screen readers. Was this wrong thinking on
> my behalf?

Unfortunately yes, as blind people can still access GUIS with braille
displays. Also, Braille terminals as you call them, usually called braille
displays are very expensive, offten a hell of a lot more than a screen
reader, for a braille display that has a fairly good number of sells which
are what produces the braille, as they pop up in particular combinations to
form the letters as needed, your looking at paying several thousand or $
pprobably at minimum 2 or 3000. While there are a few people who have
braille displays, they I would suggest are in the minority. Also, just
because a person has a braille display for output it doesn't necessarily
follow they will have a method of inputting in braille. And i'm only
speaking from a personal point of view here, i'm sure there will be others
on this list who disagree, but I prefer both input from an ordinary quirty
keyboard and output from a screen reader, as I find I absorb information
more quickly with the screen reader, and also I don't own a braille display.
In most cases a braille display simply is a method of output, and even if a
person did have the method to input with braille, they would still have to
type in commands, which actually might be more fiddly on a braille display,
I don't no as I don't own one, so comments any display users?

Is the console version command line in the sense that dos was command line?
or is it kind of like a wizard. Unfortunately I haven't been able to use the
console version, as last time I asked about it there wasn't a compiled
version available as far as I no, and I think the consensus was that it
couldn't be compiled from cygwin.