Subject: Re: my comments on meeting1

Re: my comments on meeting1

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2008 23:24:07 +0200

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 8:45 AM, Linus Nielsen Feltzing <linus_at_haxx.se> wrote:
> Jonathan Gordon wrote:
>>
>> always keeping track of bookmarks means more disk access. and that
>> extra main menu entry... I thought it was enabled by default and would
>> have no problems changing that default.
>
> Couldn't they be cached in memory and flushed at shutdown?

is this needed at all? When accessing a bookmark (regardless if
reading or writing it) the disc needs to spin up anyway, so the
tracking information could be written during that spinup in the first
place. Without knowing the code I'd imagine it already works like that
-- doesn't it?

Besides, as I mentioned at DevCon IMO bookmarks should be merged in
some way with playlists. And we need to store the last position in the
dynamic playlist upon shutdown too, so ...

 - Dominik