Subject: Re: my comments on meeting1

Re: my comments on meeting1

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2008 18:24:49 +1000

2008/7/5 Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 6:28 PM, Magnus Holmgren <lear_at_algonet.se> wrote:
>>> Besides, as I mentioned at DevCon IMO bookmarks should be merged in
>>> some way with playlists. And we need to store the last position in the
>>> dynamic playlist upon shutdown too, so ...
>>
>> Without creating a new playlist format? :)
>
> There is already extm3u around, and why not simply use an extra field
> there (why not invent a new one, like "#bmark:") to store the bookmark
> information. As far as I understood all lines starting with # will get
> ignored until the player recognizes a known element.
>
> The other option would be to simply include the playlist in the
> bookmark file, but I like the extm3u idea somewhat better -- no extra
> file, and you can move the playlist file around without loosing the
> bookmark information. Players not supporting our extra field should
> safely ignore it, shouldn't they? The second solution would have the
> advantage that we can simply save the dynamic playlist and don't need
> a separate playlist position file anymore, thus also make bookmarks
> from the database work. And another advantage of both solutions,
> especially if the resume position gets considered a special bookmark:
> no issues with removed files anymore.
>

> - Dominik

I dont think m3u is the way to go. It should use the same text file
format as the .playlist_control (I'm not sure it doesnt already).
Using this means we have the playlist rebuild speed and no need to
code up more text handling. A "downside" to this is that database
playlists are stored as "add file blaa" for every file. this shuold be
fixed, but isnt so simple, and I dont think anyone is too interested
is doing the work, (I'm trying to but keep getting lost).

Jonathan