Subject: Re: Rockbox Steering Board (RSB)

Re: Rockbox Steering Board (RSB)

From: Brandon Low <lostlogic_at_lostlogicx.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:44:46 -0700

On 2008-07-18 (Fri) at 23:34:27 +0200, Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Brandon Low wrote:
>
> - The fact is that Rockbox is growing with many new targets every
> year, so what worked fine two three years ago may not at all apply as
> nicely today simply because of the scale of things. I also think that
> for the first couple of years of early Rockbox history, Bj?rn nursed
> the project in pretty much the same way I would like the RSB to do.
> RSB is the (almost) democratic Bj?rn replacement.

You're quite right about this; but I fear that no democratic process can
replace the original charismatic leader of a group. Unfortunately, I do
not have any concrete proposal for what _could_.

> - Today, I think various developers have various ideas that are then
> passed upon other various developers. Some dogmas and concepts are
> thought of as "banned" and some are thought of as "encouraged" (and at
> times they are even expressed). Never are those said to be by Rockbox
> or for Rockbox since there's nobody that can or may speak for the
> project so it is all a matter of how loud you can speak on IRC or
> argue your case over email. RSB can help to sort this out. Concepts or
> code-styles or whatever can be changed a lot easier when there's a
> single group holding the wheel than when we're 65 committers all
> turning our own wheels in various directions at various times.

That's a tradeoff. Having a single steering wheel on the rockbox car
will certainly smooth out the path that it travels, but will it not also
make people feel less free to try exploring other paths?

Thanks for your response,

Brandon