Subject: Re: Why is it difficult to put open source firewares on the 2nd or3rd gen Nano?

Re: Why is it difficult to put open source firewares on the 2nd or3rd gen Nano?

From: Dave Hooper <dave_at_beermex.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:41:24 +0100

Right, the main 'technical reason' is that nobody has figured out how to correctly unencrypt the Apple firmware, and until that can be achieved a) we can't find out how to control the hardware in these devices, since that requires being able to reverse-engineer the original code and b) we can't figure out how to replace the Apple firmware with our own, since that requires being able to encrypt ours in the same way Apple use in order for the ipod to recognise it as valid software. Same goes for ipod Classic