Subject: Re: Forums and 3.0

Re: Forums and 3.0

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2008 09:46:26 -0500

Antony Stone wrote:
> Will the information still be valid for targets which aren't ready for 3.0?

Frankly the majority of the information in those forums is already
invalid. It contains several generation of questions about old install
instructions, or install instructions from third party sites.

The idea is that the install instructions should be updated with each
release, addressing areas of clear confusion from the forums. Since all
these should be addressed, the questions about them are no longer necessary.

The forums are *not* meant as a source of information, they're meant as
a way to ask for clarification when the proper sources of information
have failed. If people are searching them for answers then we haven't
succeeded in improving the documentation from where these people have
seen problems.

Basically, my proposition is that the documentation is constantly
improving, and the instructions are changing from time to time. Having a
consistent pattern of tidying up the old posts is better than just
leaving bad information around forever.

Even if the information is not "bad", the manual should always be
better, and when it's not, we should fix it by the next release.