Subject: Re: what to do about bookmarks?

Re: what to do about bookmarks?

From: pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:22:27 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

I'm pleased someone's looking into this ;-)

I haven't really thought about it much, but my gut feeling is that bookmarks
should always be saved as part of a playlist (i.e. a bookmark is just a
reference into its corresponding playlist).

Here's some more braindump:

Can the standard resume point be integrated to be "just another bookmark" if
at all possible; it seems wrong that we have different mechanisms for these
(or at least we did when I last looked, some months ago).

Do we need .bmark files at all? I'd prefer the storage to be in
.playlist_control or m3u(8) files, using comments. For saved playlists, is
there a standard we could use (maybe extm3u) so bookmarks could be easily
copied from/to devices as part of playlists.

I don't use "recent bookmarks", but it sounds like this could be made into a
more general "recently played" list to me, perhaps integrating the existing
functionality with playlist catalog?

pondlife