Subject: Title case or sentence case?

Title case or sentence case?

From: Dave Chapman <dave_at_dchapman.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 11:22:56 +0100

I've recently been trying to sync the Catalan translation, and have
noticed the inconsistent use of title and sentence case in the lang files.

A recent(-ish) patch (FS#8538 - committed as r16663) fixed a lot of
inconsistencies by making more strings in english.lang use Title Case.
However, I can't find any discussion of why title case was chosen as the
preferred option, and the other language files remain even more
inconsistent than english.lang

So I would like to see a policy discussion/decision about this. Maybe
this needs to be done on a language-by-language basis, but I can only
comment on (British) English.

Personally, I strongly dislike the use of title case, and would much
prefer Rockbox to use standard sentence case for all strings. Writing
"Are You Sure?" simply isn't correct...

Reading the relevant wikipedia articles, title case seems to be more of
(but not exclusively) a US custom, and english.lang is British English:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capitalization

The only reason to use title case would seem to be to distinguish
headlines/section titles/etc from the rest of the text on a page - i.e.
it isn't something that should be used globally for all text, as it
seems to be in Rockbox.

Dave.