Subject: Re: Title case or sentence case?

Re: Title case or sentence case?

From: Dave Chapman <dave_at_dchapman.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 14:33:28 +0100

gl wrote:
>> However, my argument is that any British English language file should
>> > use sentence case, as that's what is in common use in that language.
>
> Not necessarily true, for example poetry / lyric titles frequently use
> title case.

Of course there are exceptions, I'm just saying that title case is far
less common.

> For menu settings I'd argue they're titles, and not
> sentences, eg:
>
> MP visits India on trade visit (sentence headline).
>
> vs.
>
> MP at Home (title headline).

The argument isn't about what is and what is not a title, it's whether
titles in the British-English Rockbox language file should use title case.

> Title case in British English is more formal, more grand - it's a matter
> of taste, nor correctness.

I wouldn't call it more formal, or more grand, simply less widely used.

But if we accept it's a matter of taste, how do we decide what Rockbox
uses?

All the native British-English speakers who have expressed a preference
(apart from you - I'm guessing you're British based on your email
address) prefer sentence case, and this is basically what I'm saying -
choose whether to use title case on a language-by-language basis, based
on the views of the native speakers of that language.

Dave.