Subject: Re: Help improve Rockbox - Call for translators

Re: Help improve Rockbox - Call for translators

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_haxx.se>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:22:50 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008, Karl Ove Hufthammer wrote:

> Any chance you could move the translation files to the gettext PO format,
> possibly with a script to convert from/to the current format?

I'm not an expert on the PO format, but afaik that is not supporting all the
things our format does.

How do you suggest such a from-to conversion tool should work?

> I?m really getting sick and tired of literally wasting hours manually
> editing the file in the current format, for doing something I could have
> done in a few minutes with the PO format (and in addition avoiding making
> the file invalid, which is extremely easy to with a single wrong keypress
> now).

This is news to me. Can you be more specific? How can changes be done in
minutes in PO and hours in .lang? That's literally orders of magnitudes and it
makes me think you're exaggerating.

> I?m working on very many translation projects, but I feel that updating the
> translations for Rockbox takes too much time and feels like too much of a
> chore, even with the relatively few string changes, to make it worth my
> while.

Did you try using rasher's web based UI for this?

--
  / daniel.haxx.se