Subject: Re: python interpreter feasible?

Re: python interpreter feasible?

From: Mark Allums <mark_at_allums.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2008 01:29:40 -0500

Joseph Garvin wrote:
> I realize that interpreted languages are dog slow and probably not
> appropriate for most applications for low speed/memory devices like MP3
> players, but I'm still curious how feasible or not it would be to get a
> python interpreter (www.python.org <http://www.python.org>) running on
> Rockbox. Python is written in ANSI C and there is an ARM port, but I
> think it depends on POSIX. Also it would probably want to dynamically
> allocate memory a lot. I realize it's a long shot.
>
> Joe

If really want to do this crazy thing, consider IronPython and Mono as
your model. The interpreter is much faster (and so on) under Mono/.NET.
  Your runtime library would have to be drastically trimmed.

Remember, the firmware runs on bare metal, no OS. It will need static
linking.

However, also consider a compiled, Python-*like* language, instead. For
a Sudoku plugin, you might get away with interpreting, but for real
work, there is no substitute for C.

Mark Allums