Subject: Re: get back into rockbox and accessibility

Re: get back into rockbox and accessibility

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 05:42:29 -0500

Dominik Riebeling wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 1:21 AM, Daniel Dalton <d.dalton_at_iinet.net.au> wrote:
>
>> The other thing I thought about while I was a way:
>> - Perhaps we could make a dir trunk/accessibility
>> Which could contain all accessibility diffs that developers aren't so
>> sure about eg. more menu items, or big voice files. And that way the
>> diffs would be kept up-to-date in svn...
>> So then all a blind user would have to do is apply
>> trunk/accessibility/*
>>

> I don't think this is a good idea.
I agree that it's not a good idea. By including them in SVN we, directly
or indirectly, suggest that we provide support for these patches. They
become "official Rockbox." That means we invite people to complain if
they fall out of sync. Or if changes to Rockbox cause them to cease
functioning. If they are something we want, then we should include them.
If they're something we don't want, then we should simply reject them
and close the task. I know it sounds harsh, but accessibility is a
secondary goal. It's something really, really nice to have, but the
primary goal is being a good music player. That shouldn't make
accessibility impossible, but it will often require that it's done in
specific ways, and including alternate ways that we have to worry about
and keep in SVN because someone's not working on a way we will find
acceptable seems silly to me.