Subject: Re: get back into rockbox and accessibility

Re: get back into rockbox and accessibility

From: pondlife <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 09:20:38 +0100

> how about a simple "enable extra talking" option? or "blind UI" option?

Currently the "voice menus" option is used (unofficially) as a general
"talking UI" option, which is a good idea, IMHO - use of voiced menus would
imply you're not reading the screen. Feel free to posit a counter-example,
though! If not, I'd propose we rename the option to "Voice UI" to clarify

The main issue here, as I understand it, is that the voice UI doesn't cover
some things that sighted users take for granted, in particular the status
bar and WPS. Stuff like time, battery level

How about a "voice WPS" function? When voice UI is enabled, we have an
extra option ("Describe WPS") at the top of the WPS context menu. When this
is selected, the contents of the WPS are spoken out. I've no real idea how
to go about coding this (to work with the WPS parser, etc.) but I wonder if
it would cover many of Daniel's requirements, in a way that's
not-too-obtrusive for non-voice users?

Of course, I'm also assuming that WPS tags exist for all of the status bar
stuff (i.e. time, battery level).. I think that's the case, but feel free
to point out if not (or any other horrible holes in this idea).