Subject: Re: Opinions about scroll padding, FS#9455

Re: Opinions about scroll padding, FS#9455

From: XavierGr <xaviergr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 19:14:41 +0200

> I don't know (and didn't look at) how the scrolling is coded.
> But wouldn't it in principal be better to avoid such hacks such as "space
> padding" (or any other character)?
>
> Why not code a "waiting time" when the scrolling comes to the end of the
> screen?
> In that waiting time the scrolling code could just move the existing
> on-screen string and not add new characters from the beginning.

I tried this the first time, but as the code is currently laid out it seemed
a no-go.
The scrolling is achieved by putting the whole string on a different offset
and taking into account the delay and step of that offset. The less complex
and non-intrusive way to achieve padding is by appending the string itself
to the original (the same happens without the patch where half the viewport
is appended again on the line, look line 1070 on lcd-16bit.c).

The effect would be nearly the same as padding spaces at the end of the
string but it would respect the configured scrolling speed...

The patch doesn't change any default or previous behaviour. All remain as
they were with the only exception that the end of the line is padded with a
user selected string.