Subject: Re: discussion regarding adding settings (PLEASE add your 2 cents)

Re: discussion regarding adding settings (PLEASE add your 2 cents)

From: Simon M. <simon.me_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 15:00:25 +0100

On Mon, Oct 27, 2008 at 2:27 PM, alex wallis
<alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi. I'm afraid that this will probably look like i'm complaining hear.
> However, again as i've said before in other posts on other topics, with your
> above comment, if we have settings as a plugin, we run into the good old
> brick wall that plugins are as yet not accessible with the speech interface.
> However if they were accessible with the speech interface, I would have no
> objection at all to settings being turned into plugins.

I think that almost all settings are mostly set once. They could be
loaded from an extra config file (user editable with comments
explaining possible values for every setting) which is also editable
through a settings plugin. The main menu then has mostly on/off
settings to enable features. This has the advantage that adding
configurability doesn't add to binsize, the main menu is not
cluttered, a disk spin up isn't needed very ofthen, changing settings
on target is possible with a plugin and if you want to configure
everything at once without navigating on the player you can change the
config file (and this helps blind users, too).

The decision what an 'advanced' setting is still remains, I would even
go so far and say that everything that isn't on/off is advanced.

example from the playback menu (only with an asterisk would stay in the menu):
* shuffle
* repeat
play selected first
ff rw
fade on stop
* party mode
(*) crossfade (enable stays, everything else not)
(*) replaygain (the same)
* beep
auto change dir
(*) last fm (I never changed this, so I would remove it)
cuesheet
(*) skip length (don't know the point of this at all)

From a user experience it doesn't change very much, most people won't
even realise that they set a setting in a plugin.