Subject: Re: discussion regarding adding settings (PLEASE add your 2 cents)

Re: discussion regarding adding settings (PLEASE add your 2 cents)

From: pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 17:15:11 -0000

I suggested moving the settings to a plugin a while ago on IRC, the major
objections were:
a) Voice isn't (yet) supported
b) Requires a disk spinup (to load the plugin) each time you want to change
a setting.

Tom's work should resolve (a).

For (b), I proposed that we allow the last-loaded plugin to remain resident
(i.e. cached) so that unless you used another plugin, the settings menu
would remain in the plugin buffer. We could even load it as the default
plugin while the disk is still spinning at startup maybe - thus you'd never
see an extra spinup until you ran another plugin.

To do this would need a change to all existing plugins which have statically
initialised variables; they would need to explicitly reset values on entry
(or in some cases maybe choose to make better use of the cached model).

Any takers?

pondlife