Subject: Re: discussion regarding adding settings (PLEASE add your 2 cents)

Re: discussion regarding adding settings (PLEASE add your 2 cents)

From: XavierGr <xaviergr_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 00:35:22 +0200

> I'd propose this: battery bench doesn't use the plugin buffer at all, but
> steals his 512bytes from the main ram. So, stop playback -> start battery
> bench -> start playback again. There's also other plugins doing this.
> I assume those 512 shouldn't have a huge impact on the battery life. But
> this way, you couldn't only change settings while running a battery test
> (given that the settings menu is a plugin), but also could messure plugins
> impact on the battery life.

The battery_bench callback mechanism works already quite nice and simple, if
settings move to a plugin and tries to change a setting while battery_bench
is running, the user will get notified. Why alter current behaviour and
"steal" from audio buffer when the plugin itself is supposed to keep track
of battery runtime without touching anything (most of the times at least)?