Subject: Re: menu reorganising discussion

Re: menu reorganising discussion

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 19:27:51 +1100

2008/10/30 pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com>:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> What's your opinion on the proposed layout on the wiki. That's been worked
> on by several people over several months, and is, IMHO, considerably better
> than your proposal. ;-)

I've put my 2 cents in that page also.. like I said, I don't think it
goes far enough...
It (mostly) just moves individual items around, its not much of a full
rethink of how it should be (which I'd like to think mine more so is.)

2008/10/30 pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com>:
> Unfortunately, I disagree somewhat with your basic premise that some options
> are changed more often than others (i.e. "set it /forget it" principle).
> This is certainly true for a small subset of options - stuff like battery
> capacity and time/date - but for the majority of them there is likely to be
> a lot more variance across usage patterns. e.g. I'd think it more likely
> that people would change the EQ parameters than just enable/disable it,
> depending on what amplifier they're using and what room/car they're in (not
> everyone uses headphones).

Sure, but then what the usage pattern *should* be is configure the
eq/gain/whatever settings, SAVE the config, then when you change
output device you would load the config you want for that situation.

> IMHO, the best solution to this is to evolve the
> menus - tweaking and moving a few options at a time, then seeing the
> reaction over a couple of weeks. Patience is a useful thing...

I disagree.. For one thing I think the problem with the menus is its
overall structrure, not the placement of a handful of items. A full
blown reordering means that *if* people are open to compare the old
and new layout 1) there is more chance of participation (if only 1
setting is moving there will be 3 groups, move it, dont move it or
dont care.. big change means everyone will guarentee have an opinion),
2) its possible to get rational debate over the whole overall layout.
Patience is a very useful thing. (as long as things actually happen),
doing minor changes many times will just piss off lots of people many
times.
(slight aside, but this joke
http://www.funny-haha.co.uk/Joke.asp?J=367 feels appropriate here...)

> Are there some targets without a MENU button i.e. a button that will take
> you to the main menu from the WPS? I thought that was the (main) reason the
> WPS context menu contained these.

IIRC the ondio does have a back to menu button, and thats the worst
button target, so I tihnk we are fine there... but again, I havnt
thought much about the context menu yet.