Subject: Re: FS#9515 - custom quickscreen... want to commit...

Re: FS#9515 - custom quickscreen... want to commit...

From: Jonathan Gordon <>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:56:19 +1100

2008/11/1 Dominik Riebeling <>:
> True. My reasoning behind this question is more general: won't that
> open some can of worms in respect of arguing about customizable menus
> though?

I dont tihnk it will open a can or worms, but even if it did, I think
all commiters agree with the no custom keymaps/menus so any patches
which do that would be rejected anyway. the quickscreen on the other
hand is clearly not part of the regular menu structure so I dont see
an issue with it.

> In that case, shouldn't we also consider dropping the quick menu
> completely? The main idea of changing a setting with a key combo
> instead of entering a menu isn't working on most players at all. (And
> I use the quickmenu rarely -- mostly to change the file view settings
> to show .rockbox ...)
This is the feeling im getting also, the screen is mostly useless and
I think its because of the 3 options that are available. I would have
no problem removing the screen, but its there now (and has been for
years) and this patch would probably make the screen actually useful.
I've put a build with this patch on my beast and the 3 settings I use
with it are "party mode" "brightness" and "shuffle".