Subject: Re: menu reorganising discussion

Re: menu reorganising discussion

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 20:44:42 +1100

2008/10/31 Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>:
> I agree with pondlife here -- what does "Cuesheet support" have to do
> with playlists? You can play a file with associated cuesheet "without"
> handling a playlist (remember, users won't notice about the internal
> dynamic playlist, and I guess most also don't want to care about it).
> Shuffle and Repeat are play *modes*. last.fm is definitely a playback
> setting -- it logs what gets played, not what's part of the playlist.
> If I enable repeat and play the same track all over that gets logged
last.fm doesnt really belong anywhere... the other thing change how
the playlist progresses. with cuesheet disabled then pressing next
track will advance the playlist by one track, if its enabled then it
skips in the "virtual playlist" to the next track.
Sure it depends how you look at it but in my mind playback and
playlist really are the same thing.

> I also agree that it would be better to evolve the menus instead of
> redoing everything the same time.
>
> The mentioned inline settings are a nice idea. And to try reviving
> that again: we had a patch for this some years ago and I quite liked
> the result, especially the two-lined version (just noticed that the
> current trigger screen is rather similar to that). From my point of
> view something like that could also greatly improve the menu
> "experience". The old thread is
> http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=5881.0 and the tracker task
> is FS#5833. Any thoughts on this?

I think this is a seperate discussion, but yeah I'm in favour of
inline settings. I cant get to the tracker right now but I'm assuming
5833 is the really old version which was done before the big settings
rework? I remember implementing inline settings for the new setting
system ages ago and think its on the tracker or forums also, have to
dig it up... either way it sholdnt be too dificult to get working
again.