Subject: Re: Release schedule proposal

Re: Release schedule proposal

From: <>
Date: 5 Nov 2008 09:08:39 -0000

> I'm not against the idea, but I wonder what the point of releasing so
often is unless there was something big?

I agree. Considering the last
gap between releases was three years, a release schedule of every 3 months
seems a bit like setting ourselves up for a fall. A targetted release designed
to give a new feature-set seems like a more manageable idea.

> On your
time line you have freeze, branch, release. What about tracker
> cleanup,
manual fixes, mad rush to get ready patches in?

Those absolutely need to
be done. A focus on periodic *very* stable releases with full documentation
would IMHO be preferable to releases done 'just because we said we would'.

...or do similar to the ubuntu
> "schedule" where one release is a bugfix/stable
one and the next is
> more about features (bug fixes still go in of course....)

I'm not so sure about that. Given the rapid rate of commits in the project,
I think an 'unstable' release doesn't gain anything. The current 'bleeding
edge' system works well for those who want to try every new feature and periodic
stable releases are there for everyone else.