Subject: Codec Failure?

Codec Failure?

From: Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker_at_bennee.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 11:12:26 +0000

Hi,

I've installed the r19031-081106 build of Rockbox on my 5.5G iPod
Video. That all works fine and I can play and navigate stuff. Before I
can do anything else I thought I would try building from source. After
following the instructions I made a build:

10:07 alex_at_danny/x86_64 [build] >cat rockbox-info.txt
Target: ipodvideo
Target id: 15
Target define: -DIPOD_VIDEO
Memory: 64
CPU: arm
Manufacturer: ipod
Version: r19035-081107
Binary: rockbox.ipod
Binary size: 611064
Actual size: 611056
RAM usage: 1701616
Features: alarm:albumart:backlight_brightness:backlight_fade:dircache:disk_storage:headphone_detection:hold_button:lcd_bitmap:lcd_non-mono:lcd_color:pitchscreen:quickscreen:recording:recording_swcodec:rtc:scrollwheel:swcodec:tagcache:tc_ramcache:charging:usb_charging:usbstack:accessory_supply
gcc: arm-elf-gcc (GCC) 4.0.3
ld: GNU ar 2.16.1
Host gcc: gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 (Gentoo 4.1.2 p1.1)
Host system: Linux

Which I dropped into the root dir of my iPod. Running it within the
file manager brought up the new firmware but I was unable to get
anything to play. I kept getting the message "Codec Failure" and the
player then went into constant loop as it tried to play the next track
in the list which also failed. Most of my stuff is in Ogg format
although there a few mp3's dotted around. I had to give it the two
finger salute to get it back to the original firmware.

Two questions:

1. What's "Codec Failure" mean. Have I neglected something at the
config stage? I just ran it and answered the questions selecting a
"Normal" build.

2. Is there a better way of leaving the test firmware than the reset
option?

Cheers,

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/