Subject: Re: Auto saving playlists

Re: Auto saving playlists

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 11:00:58 -0600

Alex Bennee wrote:
> I find the virtual keyboard overly complex to quickly do things. Maybe
> the prompt should do something like:
>
> "Your about to destroy you current playlist:
>
> 1. Go Ahead
> 2. Save As "Last Playlist Name"
> 3. Save As ...."
>
> Which would be a single click operation apart from 3 which would go
> through to the virtual keyboard.
>
> That would avoid messing with the existing Non-Dynamic/Dynamic
> playlist logic and add it all code to the place where we know a
> playlist will get destroyed.

I think, overall, this would be better than ever "silently" saving the
playlist. I can see how silent playlist alteration could be very
frustrating to users not expecting it. Playlists aren't really files
that "belong" to Rockbox, they're files that belong to the user which
Rockbox opens and reads. Rockbox shouldn't write them back to the disk
unless the user explicitly asks for that action, but I don't see any
problem with Rockbox's warning to include an easy option to update the file.

If it automatically saved on every change, or silently in any case, it'd
be even easier to accidentally destroy a playlist by making changes to
it for this session before being aware those changes would be permanent.