Subject: Re: Default settings for the release

Re: Default settings for the release

From: Jonas Häggqvist <>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 23:27:00 +0100

Paul Louden wrote:

> few people stop and read all the
> options, and when they do it's something they only really do once anyway
> so I don't think it's something we need to plan for).

I think that's very flawed. The few people who do read all the options are
exactly the users we need to consider when setting defaults: New and
inexperienced users.

The powerusers can set their backlight setting as they wish, but we need
to help the new users. I think 15 is the absolute lowest sane level *for a
new user*, which is who the default is for, and who *will* feel lost in
Rockbox vast menus and stare at them for extended periods to figure out
where to go.

Jonas Häggqvist