Subject: Re: Default settings for the release

Re: Default settings for the release

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 20:01:25 -0600

David Hall wrote:
> Also to error on the
> memory-hogging side with regard to dircache.

I don't think anyone's objecting to the memory use of dircache since
it's only really being discussed for large-memory targets. The problem
is that dircache still has some unexpected failures if you have a large
enough number of files (a number, I believe, smaller than some of the
larger maximum playlist sizes you can set even, though I'm not certain
about that). It would probably be fine if it handled failure gracefully,
but I believe if it fails to initialize it just tries to rebuild on
every consecutive boot (or possibly every other boot).