Subject: Re: Default settings for the release

Re: Default settings for the release

From: Marc Guay <marc.guay_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 07:49:07 -0500

> Also, isn't the dircache option really only useful for those of us who use
> the database? I've never fully understood what that option actually does, I
> just no that people who use the database like it.

Hi Alex,

Not to take this even further off-topic, but if you're ever curious
what an option does, chances are that the manual explains it in some
detail. Here's an excerpt for dircache:

----
8.5.2.  Disk
Directory Cache:
Rockbox has the ability to cache the contents of your drive in RAM.
The Directory Cache takes a small amount of memory away from Rockbox
that would otherwise be used to buffer music, but it speeds up
navigation in the file browser by eliminating the slight pause between
the time a navigation button is pressed and the time Rockbox responds.
---
Cheers,
Marc