Subject: Re: 3.1 Freeze

Re: 3.1 Freeze

From: Jonas Häggqvist <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 18:36:06 +0100

Thomas Martitz wrote:
> But there has also been some talk about releasing 26th (Rock-Boxing
> day? What's that?).

The 26th came up because we branched 3 days later than planned (with a
23rd release). December 26th is called Boxing Day in the United Kingdom
and some other countries, which prompted my rather silly pun of Rockboxing
Day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boxing_day

> I'd personally prefer releasing before Christmas, for 3 reasons:
> a) Of course, obviously, to have a christmas present for our community.

Agreed.

> b) I think it's likely that many devs (even though maybe not the ones
> responsible for doing the actual release) will be quite busy around
> christmas and maybe even some days after, so there's a little chance
> that the release will be delayed a bit more.

On the other hand, this also means that there will be less devs and forum
posters around on the days following a release. This is perhaps not such a
plus afterall.

> c) Establishing the 23rd as a general release day sounds good to me,
> some tradition.

But with the 26th, we get to repeat Rockboxing Day each year! On the other
hand, we've had a Dec. 23rd release before (2.4).

--
Jonas Häggqvist
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk