Subject: Re: Plugin API documentation

Re: Plugin API documentation

From: Maurus Cuelenaere <mcuelenaere_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:22:23 +0100

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 15:14, Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> Just looking at the patch and I think I want to add my 2 cents against
> this... The plugin.h header should be kept as tidy as possible so its
> easy to see quickly which functions are currently available in the
> API. Adding this comment block before every function makes that more
> difficult.
>
> I think a better (although trickier) solution is to put proper
> documentation in the actual code.

Could you explain yourself a bit further about that?

> Quick example of what I'm talking about for new comers... do a search
> for "read" to try find read_line (assuming you dont know the name of
> the function.. just that you're looking for something which reads
> files) with all that extra comment text you'll find yourself pressing
> "find next" alot more than without it.

I agree that it does indeed make the file a lot bigger and perhaps a bit
more difficult to read.
But the point of all this is that you don't really need to look stuff up in
plugin.h anymore, but rather use the documentation output for that.

Regards,
Cuelenaere Maurus