Subject: Re: Version Strings

Re: Version Strings

From: Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker_at_bennee.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 15:43:44 +0000

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 11:16 AM, Torne Wuff
<torne-rockboxdev_at_wolfpuppy.org.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15 09 at 1:19:04AM -0500, Andrew Mahone wrote:
>> For what it's worth, I don't favor changing any of what's currently in
>> the version string, but I would consider extending it to be a good
>> idea, provided that adding the commit-ish doesn't make it unreasonably
>> long. I think the initial rNNNNNNN-DDDDDD should be extended with a
>> -<extra>, which could include the git commit-ish if building from git,
>> and perhaps just "-custom" if building from an svn checkout with local
>> changes.
> <snip>
> Possibly related: I use bzr-svn to branch the rockbox trunk, and have
> modified the version script to produce something like
> r19705+bzr19352-090108, where the rNNNNN number is the most recent
> revision that has a svn revision number from trunk and the bzrNNNNN
> number is the revision from my bzr branch. I quite like the format :)
>
> I've not actually added -dirty to my script but have considered it.. it
> doesn't tell you what/where the changes are, but it does tell you that
> the code is not exactly as specified by the revision id, and thus that
> issues may not be reproducable.
>
> <snip>
>
> That would be good, and something I'd adapt to support bzr :)

Ok I'll tweak it to that format. I still think having dirty adds
useful information. It may be worth just dumping that into
rockbox-info.txt

Can you post your copy of the script and I'll slurb the bzr bit into
it of you want.

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
CV: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/cv.php