Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009

Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: Mark Allums <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:56:35 -0600

Jonas Häggqvist wrote:
> Daniel Stenberg wrote:
>> If we want Rockbox to participate in this venture yet again I'm
>> convinced that we need to cough up a bunch of high quality ideas and
>> suggestions for possible students to use for inspiration.

Time for more of my crazy talk.

No one thought highly of my idea of implementing a subset of
dot.NET/mono, and creating a Python interpreter that runs on it.

Here's another one: A hypervisor for ARM than runs on exactly one or
two CPUs (I'm thinking of my Sansa e280) and allows the creation of a
Rockbox HAL---Hardware Abstraction Layer. With the RHAL, Rockbox can be
standardized, one binary for any ARM-based machine, except for the
bootloader and a different hypervisor for each architecture.

Mark Allums, the Blue Sky guy