Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009

Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: Mark Allums <mark_at_allums.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 03:29:31 -0600

Paul Louden wrote:
> Mark Allums wrote:
>> I foresee legal hassles, though I like the suggestion that any
>> Rockboxed player might somehow be made to appear as an iPod. It's
>> borked though, if Apple uses serial numbers with serious-grade
>> encryption to validate players. And USA illegal to defeat the
>> encryption to circumvent copyright.
>>
> There's not really much in the way of room for anything serious like
> that to identify an iPod. They're presented as UMS devices, so there's
> not a special protocol in use. I believe they do make some sort of
> custom inquiry, but, and again I'm working from memory here, it's known
> what's in it and not encrypted.

I misspoke. I really meant, do players have signatures?

I know that most Windows players do. I assumed that the newest Apple
players do, but since Rockbox doesn't run on the Touch, or the other
newer players, I don't guess that matters until it does run on them, if
ever.

While we are on the subject, would Rockbox be suitable for an iPhone app?

Another one: Would Rockbox be suitable for Google's Android?

MArk Allums