Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009

Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 11:03:35 -0000

If we want Rockbox to participate in this venture yet again I'm convinced
that
> we need to cough up a bunch of high quality ideas and suggestions for
> possible students to use for inspiration.

Hi.
Well how about these for a few ideas. I don't no how practical these would
be for a gsoc project, but what about making it possible to use the speech
interface when the player is paused?
As at the moment, it is awkward using the wps context menu and screens such
as the pitch screen, as at least in the case of the wps context menu its
only accessible with speech when a file is playing, making it very hard to
hear the speech.

Another idea I have is what about introducing an independent volume for the
voice? so that your voice volume isn't tied to how loud you have an audio
file playing. I believe there was a lot of positive discussion about this on
the old feature request system some time back, and a consensus seemed to be
that it was a good idea. As it would mean if you were listening to a quiet
file if you stopped it you then won't be deafened by the speech, which
happens now.