Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009

Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 13:28:46 +0100

talking about FF/RW with sound...

Paul Louden wrote:
> It's less of a technical issue and more of the fact that it's still
> quite hard to justify. When you're seeking quickly, by the time you've
> heard the clip you're quite a distance past it anyway. If it's seeking
> slowly, it's preventing quick seeking. Why is audible seeking better
> than "seek, listen, seek, listen?"

I can only speak for myself, but I usually have difficulties to know if I'm before or after the passage that I was trying to find. One of my typical use cases is to find the interesting parts of a recording of a band rehearsal. If the recording was done without triggers, I have one long file with several parts of music and lots of talking and silence in between. It's difficult to find the next piece of music, unless you go forward in 10 second steps... The same holds true for another use case: find a certain spot (for example the first chorus) within a song. This is also more comfortable with audible feedback.

But I realized that things are different for audio books. I don't see any advantage here and agree with Paul that quicker seeking without sound is preferable in this case.

Andreas