Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009

Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: Michael DiFebbo <medifebbo_at_rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:54:09 -0500

Andreas Stemmer wrote:
> I can only speak for myself, but I usually have difficulties to know if I'm before or after the passage that I was trying to find. One of my typical use cases is to find the interesting parts of a recording of a band rehearsal. If the recording was done without triggers, I have one long file with several parts of music and lots of talking and silence in between. It's difficult to find the next piece of music, unless you go forward in 10 second steps... The same holds true for another use case: find a certain spot (for example the first chorus) within a song. This is also more comfortable with audible feedback.

I agree wholeheartedly. The lack of audible seeking is a significant
disadvantage when listening to a lengthy recording. I will add to
Andreas' comment: if you have practiced the same song multiple times and
are looking for a specific run-though of that song, Paul's
"seek-listen-seek-listen" method is not very effective, because you
often cannot determine from listening (or at the very least, you cannot
*quickly* determine) which instance of the song you are listening to.