Subject: Re: kugel: r19826 - trunk/wps

Re: kugel: r19826 - trunk/wps

From: Thomas Martitz <>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:12:31 +0100

Thomas Martitz wrote:
> I'd like to point out 3 things:
> Fonts are part of a theme, as designed by the author. A theme without
> working font is just as broken as if would show the build-in wps. And
> we should not ship broken themes. So, either ship the font, or don't
> ship the theme at all.
> The other thing is, that Rockbox should work out of the box, and
> should not require extra downloads for core features (and the theming
> and font engine is a core feature, whereas doom is not).
> IMO it's essential for the user experience, that, when he goes to
> browse the themes, that all themes just work when he selects one.

The 3rd thing is (I somehow hit sent before being finished :/ ) that
particularly Unifont should be shipped with Unicatcher. If Rockbox tries
to support most (if not all) languages, it should "out-of-the-box" meet
every requirement for it. And a suitable font is of course essential for
this. Again, for me, this support is flawed, once it requires extra and
optional downloads.
Why are "Westerners" fine without having to download a bunch of fonts
(which are probably more than needed), while Asians are in the need to
download those? That's not the way to go in my opinion.

Kind regards