Subject: requesting review of 'goban' plugin for possible svn inclusion

requesting review of 'goban' plugin for possible svn inclusion

From: Joshua Simmons <mud_at_majidejima.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2009 12:54:51 -0500

Quite a long time ago I started an SGF (Smart Game Format) editor/viewer
plugin for Rockbox, used to view, edit and play Go games. It sat around
for a while in a working state but not really finished. Recently I've
revisited it and after quite a bit of work I have it at a point where I
think it could quite reasonably be included in svn.

I've done everything that I can think of to get it ready:
- It works on every reasonable target (everything with a bitmap LCD).
- I've followed the Rockbox coding standard to the best of my knowledge.
- I've tested it reasonably well, at several different levels.
- I have a manual page written for it, including screenshots.
- All it needs is controls set up for any new targets, nothing else
should need to be changed

I think the plugin would be a great addition to Rockbox since they
function very well together. Passing a DAP back and forth to play Go is
quite enjoyable, it handles SGF files well for studying Go on the road
(doing problems, reviewing games and joseki, etc.) and it functions
excellently as a combination game recorder/music player for tournament
players (who often record their games).

If anyone has time to review the code or just try the plugin and give me
feedback, that would be wonderful. If a Rockbox developer is interested
enough to help me get this included in svn, or to let me know what more
I can do, that would be even better.

It is in FS#7369 ( http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/7369 ) and I have
builds with the plugin linked to from
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=20475.0 .

More information on Go, the plugin, and SGF files is linked from the FS
entry.

Warning: there is quite a bit of outdated information in the FS entry,
as the plugin underwent an almost complete rewrite around the beginning
of this year. In particular, little to no GNUGo code is in the current
version and there is no more malloc.