Subject: Re: Symlinks in rockbox

Re: Symlinks in rockbox

From: Dan Davison <davison_at_stats.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 17:34:18 -0500

"Peter D'Hoye" <peter.dhoye_at_telenet.be> writes:

>> I'd like to propose (and unless discouraged will submit a patch
>> allowing) symlink-like files in rockbox. But first I'd like
>> to ask advice about the implementation.
>>
>> These would be text files containing the path to a different
>> directory or file. In the case of a directory the directory
>> browser would be called on that directory, and in the case of
>> a file the default select action for the target file would
>> occur. I've described my current use-case below.
>
> err... we already have shortcut files that allow just that

Ermm, yep, that is pretty similar to what I suggested :) Better in fact,
as you have multiple links per .link file. So that's great -- not only
do I get what I wanted, but I get to see how it should have been done --
even if I do look slightly stupid...

May I suggest that an entry is added to appendix A (file formats), with
a link to the plugins/shortcuts page (patches attached). [I guess no
icon has been defined/created yet for links]

Dan