Subject: Re: Using gcc 4.4.0 to compile Rockbox

Re: Using gcc 4.4.0 to compile Rockbox

From: Mark Allums <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 04:16:57 -0600

Nils wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Mark Allums <
> <>> wrote:
> For the fun of it, I created a cross-compiler based on a developer
> snapshot of gcc. It is a successor to 4.3.3, essentially an early
> 4.4.0. I am aware that versions other than 4.0.3 don't work well.
> Interesting, I intended to test this myself at some point, keep in mind
> that crashes in rockbox could come from compiler bugs so don't beat
> yourself up over them if they make no sense ;)
> Also could you run some benchmarks on the codecs to see how it affects
> performance?
> Nils

I would be happy to bechmark the codecs that will play; I will need some
coaching, perhaps, on just how to go about it.

One issue here is that I dared to try it on my actual e270, not
emulation. It hasn't bricked the player, but crashes do require a
reboot. Obviously, I wouldn't touch the bootloader with a ten foot pole.

Mark A.