Subject: Re: Using gcc 4.4.0 to compile Rockbox

Re: Using gcc 4.4.0 to compile Rockbox

From: Mark Allums <mark_at_allums.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 06:30:09 -0600

Nils wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 9:57 AM, Mark Allums <mark_at_allums.com
> <mailto:mark_at_allums.com>> wrote:
>
> For the fun of it, I created a cross-compiler based on a developer
> snapshot of gcc. It is a successor to 4.3.3, essentially an early
> 4.4.0. I am aware that versions other than 4.0.3 don't work well.
>

> Interesting, I intended to test this myself at some point, keep in mind
> that crashes in rockbox could come from compiler bugs so don't beat
> yourself up over them if they make no sense ;)
> Also could you run some benchmarks on the codecs to see how it affects
> performance?
>
> Nils

I went to the wiki to read up on benchmarking, and it had an alleged
link to a set of codecs. However, clicking the link brings up an error
page.

http://home.earthlink.net/~davidegentile/rockbox/codec_pack.zip

doesn't exist.

Also, the Nero link is out of date, but I was able get the Nero codec by
going on to the Nero site. The Microsoft encoder was no problem.

I guess someone will need to hook me up with the test codecs, if we want
to be consistent with previous work. However, I can use any codecs
available if all we want to do is compare gcc 4.0.3 to gcc 4.4.0.

Mark Allums