Subject: Re: Using gcc 4.4.0 to compile Rockbox

Re: Using gcc 4.4.0 to compile Rockbox

From: Mark Allums <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 09:49:35 -0600

Nils wrote:
> Also could you run some benchmarks on the codecs to see how it affects
> performance?
> Nils

Attached is a spreadsheet in .ods format. I can supply
Excel 97, or text, if that would be better.

I compiled the 4.0.3 elf cross-compiler using my system's default gcc
4.3.3. I compiled the 4.4.0 elf cross-compiler with an x86_64 native
gcc 4.4.0 that I bootstrapped myself from the snapshot.

It looks like vanilla 4.4.0 comes off worse in the comparison. I can't
yet bench .mp3s, or .wma's, but I would expect similar results to the
ogg results. The .m4a's were 256kb/s files, the .oggs were VBR. The
.wma's may or not be VBR, I can't remember; the .mp3s definitely were.

This is a beginning. Also, keep in mind that it's early days, yet, for
the gcc 4.4.0 compiler. It will likely improve over time.

Mark Allums