Subject: Re: 5.5G iPod shutdown confusing the boot code?

Re: 5.5G iPod shutdown confusing the boot code?

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 20:02:43 -0500

Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
> I'm also wondering if this is related to the iPod being formatted
> FAT32. My iPod never gave me this kind of trouble until I had
> reformatted on Windows iTunes to load Rockbox...

Two things pop to mind:
1 - The low battery symbol pops up w/o a disk spinup.
2 - This happened to me when using the original firmware.

I think the assumption that this is not uncommon behavior even with the
original firmware is well founded, as there:
A - are reports of this happening to people who have never used Rockbox.
B - is sound logic to the statement "bootloader problems are more likely
to be seen the more often you use the bootloader" Active Rockbox users
engage the bootloader possibly multiple times per day. Active Apple OS
users rarely _if ever_ engage the bootloader.

The only question, in my mind, is "does Rockbox increase the likelihood
this bug is triggered?"
This would be a time-consuming question to answer.

--soap