Subject: Re: What to do with too big glyphs (FS#9931)

Re: What to do with too big glyphs (FS#9931)

From: Al Le <al.le_at_gmx.de>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 21:22:52 +0100

On 03.03.2009 21:05, David Hall wrote:
> How many glyphs are we talking about, roughly?

I don't know

> And how prominent (common) of glyphs?

Those are mostly accented glyphs. I can't tell how "prominent" they are
since it depends very much on your language and the tags in your songs.

> I guess my real question is - where is the balance point? Turning a
> 20 height font into a 25 height font (losing 20% of screen
> real-estate) because of one or two unusual glyphs seems drastic to me.

Might be. But with the new options we'd have the freedom to play with it
and decide what is better. But the last step should always be clipping IMO.

> Would scaling down the oversized glyphs and only the oversized ones be
> an option?

No, I think it can't be done automatically.

> How distinguishable are the oversized glyphs when clipped? (or is
> that what I'm seeing in the first two FS images?)

The "main part" of the glyph is still visible. See also the clipped
glyphs at the end of the FS task.