Subject: Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

From: Karl Kurbjun <kkurbjun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 12:20:16 -0700

On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 11:40 AM, Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Jonathan Gordon wrote:
>>
>> the h300/e200 ports have had nothing assigned to the rec button for
>> over 2 years now... I think we can all agree they are spare... new
>> ports its up to the developer, and exsisting targets... its up to the
>> custom builders
>>

> Unused is not the same as spare. If this patch had been proposed before the
> H300 port was released, with that intended to be the original function of
> the short press, you couldn't use the "2 years" argument for calling it
> spare. Come up with another definition for why it's a spare button that
> isn't based on the fact that nobody bothered to do the work yet.

I think that any button that does not have an obvious function based
on it's label could be considered spare as long as the main functions
are present (I would consider the buttons that the ipod has to be a
minimum level of functionality unless there are players with fewer
buttons). For example the M:Robe 500 has a heart button on it. I no
idea what the obvious intended function would be for that button in
Rockbox, but I could think of a useful function to map it to. That
doesn't mean that it's the best option though and likely it would just
fall under my preference based on what was implemented in other
players.

-Karl