Subject: Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2009 13:57:10 -0600

Al Le wrote:
> At the moment, I wouldn't want to see this patch in SVN. Not because
> I'm against giving the button a function. But because the intended
> function is not what I would like it to be (go to FM radio). And you
> know: once it's committed, it will be very hard to change. Yes, I'm an
> egoist! :-)
Not all players with recording have an FM radio (though currently all
players with Record buttons do at the moment). Assigning it to
playlisting means we have another "button function" for use in the
future on many-button targets that works even if players don't have FM,
and helps people who don't have an FM radio.

Going to the radio is, more or less, something you're unlikely to do
many times a minute. When you're creating playlists, insertion is a
function you may do a few dozen times a minute for many minutes. Being
able to streamline this by making it a single button is very helpful. As
well because it's the "insert" function (and not Insert Next or Insert
Last) you can tell it whether you're adding songs after your current one
or after the end of the playlist by starting with the "next" or "last"
versions through the menu, then following with the button press, making
it a very flexible single button.