Subject: Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_fhtw-berlin.de>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 00:53:56 +0100

Paul Louden schrieb:
> Al Le wrote:
>> At the moment, I wouldn't want to see this patch in SVN. Not because
>> I'm against giving the button a function. But because the intended
>> function is not what I would like it to be (go to FM radio). And you
>> know: once it's committed, it will be very hard to change. Yes, I'm
>> an egoist! :-)
> Not all players with recording have an FM radio (though currently all
> players with Record buttons do at the moment). Assigning it to
> playlisting means we have another "button function" for use in the
> future on many-button targets that works even if players don't have
> FM, and helps people who don't have an FM radio.
>
> Going to the radio is, more or less, something you're unlikely to do
> many times a minute. When you're creating playlists, insertion is a
> function you may do a few dozen times a minute for many minutes. Being
> able to streamline this by making it a single button is very helpful.
> As well because it's the "insert" function (and not Insert Next or
> Insert Last) you can tell it whether you're adding songs after your
> current one or after the end of the playlist by starting with the
> "next" or "last" versions through the menu, then following with the
> button press, making it a very flexible single button.

And I want to add, that not even all e200s have a radio. For example, my
e200 doesn't have a radio, just like virtually all EU e200s. If this was
in SVN with radio, it would be a waste for 2 reasons:

a) a significant amount of people cannot make use of it, because they're
damaged by (apparently random) of vendors to not include the radio
b) really, to agree with Paul, radio is not something you do frequently.
With playlisting, you're offered a handy keypress, which will make your
creation process just as easy as it can get. And playlist creation can
be a rather button intensive job, depending on how much different songs
and flavors you want to have in the playlist. Radio is something you
enter once, then forget about it for the next few hours while you're
listening to it

And I don't have to say that if it was used for playlists, it would just
perfectly fit to what Rockbox is about, you know.