Subject: Re: Theme licenses

Re: Theme licenses

From: Frank Gevaerts <frank_at_gevaerts.be>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 18:54:53 +0100

On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 06:04:27PM +0100, Jonas Häggqvist wrote:
> A while ago, it was decided that themes on the fabled theme site should be
> required to be licensed exclusively CC-BY-SA. This however, results in
> some problems. For one thing, we can't reuse parts of themes in the
> Rockbox defaults since they're part of the code, and hence GPLv2-or-later.
> Another issue that seems a bit weird is that themes derived from Cabbiev2
> can't be uploaded to the theme site. As I see it, we have 4 options:
>
> 1) Require CC-BY-SA only
> 2) Require GPLv2-or-later only
> 3) Allow both GPLv2-or-later and CC-BY-SA
> 4) Require dual-licensing

I think there's a fifth option : dual-license the themes that are in svn,
or even allow CC-BY-SA-only themes in svn (I don't think this conflicts
with the GPL, I can't see themes as "linked"). This would of course mean
that we need to track down everyone who ever worked on or contributed to
those themes.

Frank