Subject: Re: PortalPlayer USB for 3.2?

Re: PortalPlayer USB for 3.2?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 04:53:28 -0500

Jens Arnold wrote:

> I think we should ship 3.2 with portalplayer USB enabled. While
> it does cause problems for a few users, the reboot-on-connect
> method wasn't bug free either. Sometimes it hung and required a
> hard reset and entering diskmode manually. Besides, diskmode is
> slooow on Nanos and Videos.

But none of these problems cause filesystem corruption. While annoying,
they don't actually qualify as "harmful."
> As for the charging - other supported targets have the same
> problem (charging very slowly in rockbox), namely the iAudios.

Do the iAudios actually consume battery during file transfers? Can they
die and shut down if the transfer is too large? There's been at least
one claim of this happening on an iPod.
> If we would ship the release with rockbox USB disabled, it will
> see much less testing, as quite a number of users prefers
> release versions over latest SVN for whatever reason. The
> release notes accompanying the release always list known
> issues, and that's where the potential problems should be
> mentioned of course.

The real question is whether this qualifies as a "known issue" or an
"incomplete feature." I think we shouldn't be pushing out things in
*releases* for the purpose of testing it on users, even if it will be
getting wider exposure. That being said, if we don't get further reports
of others having the problems we've seen reported so far by the time 3.3
rolls around, I think we should roll it out on the basis of "maybe
everything's working right, and these two people with problems are just
a special case." Then if we happen to get further feedback, maybe it's
not and we can fix it.

We've not had USB for a considerable time now. I don't think a few extra
months will be particularly harmful.