Subject: Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposedto sort?

Re: how is strnatcmp aka "Interpret numbers while sorting" supposedto sort?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:39:17 -0500

alex wallis wrote:

> Now this idea I like, personally I think sorting should work the same
> way it does in windows.

Windows isn't FLOSS and I very much doubt their algorithm is public.
> I guess if people don't like the way files are sorted they can always
> rename them.

No, actually they can't if the sorting tries to be too intelligent. By
this argument, we should just keep our original sort and turn off all
others, since it at least will never try to "guess" anything, and
strictly use the filenames. It's the only way for renaming to be
predictable and consistent.